In the modern world, to be a truly competitive business it is essential to have a strong web presence. Recent shopping trend data shows more and more people preferring to purchase online. However, for many, especially small businesses, just getting a website is a big step.
Creating a website is one thing, however, successfully running it and gaining traffic is completely different. Numerous design companies will create websites but will not offer any Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) support. Few will have the time or know-how to put in place an off-site optimisation strategy to push them further up the search engine rankings.
Why Search Engine Optimization is Important:
It is not enough to just create a website and wait for customers to visit it. Unless they know your brand and what you offer, it won’t happen. Without proper SEO you are literally leaving money on the table.
Here are some of the reasons Why Search Engine Optimization is Important:
1) It will increase your website’s ranking which will lead to more web traffic. The first page in Google and Bing is what you are aiming for. More web traffic means an increase in sales.
2) It will help increase brand awareness. Getting your brand was known is all important. Social media will help to do this. Be social on Facebook, Google+ and Twitter. Eventually, people will search on the brand if it is big enough.
3) It will increase awareness of who your competitors are and what they are doing. Keeping up-to-speed with your competitors is very important.
Steps to increase search engine rankings:
• Get social media accounts set up and be active on them.
• Ensure you are registered with Google Places
• Constantly review your website and review the keywords that your customers are searching on.
• Update your website regularly with new and interesting information ensuring that the search engine spiders are crawling and indexing the site.
• Lookout for new linking opportunities with others in a similar business area. Twitter is a good way of finding people.
• Write interesting articles and submit them to quality sites.
• Guest blog on other reputable sites
This sounds like a lot of work, but it is a good investment and it will pay off with more traffic and perhaps opportunities as well.
It is very important to have a search engine optimisation strategy in place as a small business, and if there isn’t the time to put one in place, there are many companies which are willing to take on this responsibility for you.